The WFTDA Broadcast team is proud to announce a streaming partnership with Twitch and the debut of a new show: “Roller Derby Watch Party” (RDWP).
Since launching in 2011, Twitch has evolved its reputation as the world’s leading social video platform and community for video game culture to now encompass an array of emerging content surfaced by its users. As a result, 15 million visitors gather daily to connect through music, the creative arts, their lives, and, of course, video games — with over 2 million unique creators broadcasting each month. The WFTDA Twitch channel can be found at go.twitch.tv/wftda.
Twitch By the Numbers
- 15 million daily active users
- 2.2+ million unique content creators per month
- 22+ thousand members of the Twitch Partner program
- 106 minutes watched per person per day
- 2+ million peak concurrent sitewide viewers
- 65+ million raised by the Twitch community for charity
The WFTDA broadcast production team is moving into producing a new program, exclusively on Twitch. “Roller Derby Watch Party” is a unique, 90-minute show format, featuring a panel of announcers, skaters, and guests who will present game videos while collaborating in a fun and engaging dialogue about the sport through the interactive live chat feature popularized by Twitch.
In addition to the RDWP, the WFTDA will be streaming full-length, two-hour games for free with “watch party” hosts and live chat. (See the schedule below for more details.)
“The next frontier for WFTDA Broadcast is to begin developing more engagement-based content that reconnects audiences new and old, and promotes the sport as fun and athletic,” says Chief Media Officer Erica Vanstone. “By collaborating with Twitch — a platform that primarily delivers to gaming audiences — we will explore new types of content that re-energize our “chat” culture from the early days of our sport, while promoting the great matchups we’re already producing.”
Since 2012, the WFTDA Broadcast program has been working hard to achieve its goals of creating high-quality video production for games, and has become the standard-bearer for roller derby broadcast with skater audiences around the globe.
You can join us for these free and exciting broadcast on Twitch for the following scheduled shows:
- Oct. 27, 7 p.m. EDT: Roller Derby Watch Party
- Join us for the first-ever “Roller Derby Watch Party” featuring clips of Montréal Roller Derby’s and the Crime City Rollers’ latest games, along with highlights from the 2017 season, special guests, and the return of the live chat!
- Nov. 2, 7 p.m. EDT: Roller Derby Watch Party
- Tailgate Edition! Live from the Liacouras Center, we’ll give viewers a direct and in-depth look at the 2017 Championships matchups in a “sports desk” show format with special guests, giveaways, and more!
- Nov. 3, 10 a.m. EDT: LIVE GAME – Montréal Roller Derby vs. Crime City Rollers
- Two-hour broadcast of Game 1, live from the 2017 International WFTDA Championships in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania!
- More weekly shows coming immediately following WFTDA Championships! Stay tuned for the updated schedule!